Preaching to the Choir

These are some sermons, but mostly lectionary discussions. It also has prayers for some Sundays.

Friday, May 05, 2006

This Sunday is GOOD SHEPHERD SUNDAY




TODAY IS KNOWN AS GOOD SHEPHERD SUNDAY because, in each year of the liturgical cycle on this 4th Sunday, the Gospel is always taken from the 10th chapter of John where Jesus speaks of himself as the "good shepherd".
John 10:11-18
11“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.”


You are probably more familiar with the King James version of Psalm 23:
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
But you might also enjoy Eugene Peterson's translation of Psalm 23 in The Message:
O God, my shepherd!I don't need a thing.You have bedded me down in lush meadows,You find me quiet pools to drink from.True to your word,You let me catch my breathAnd send me in the right direction.Even when the way goes through Death Valley,I'm not afraid when you walk at my side.Your shepherd's crook makes me feel secure.You serve me a six-course dinnerRight in front of my enemies.You revive my drooping head;My cup overflows with blessing.Your beauty and love chase after meEvery day of my life.For the rest of my life, I'm back home in the house of God.

I am preaching on these two passages combining them for Sunday's message.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home