Preaching to the Choir

These are some sermons, but mostly lectionary discussions. It also has prayers for some Sundays.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Easter Sunday



WE come to Easter Sunday having gone through Holy Week anticipating the celebration and joy of the resurrection.

In the Matthew Passage; the connection between resurrection, worship, and mission.In the denomination I grew up in, the presence of the women in the resurrection story was minimized. I wonder inside my own self, what does it mean that women are the first to the tomb, not ignored but instead told to go and tell and then they do so.

For Matthew it is a very cosmic event with earthquake and an Angel.

And just as with Jesus' birth we read those words "Do not be Afraid."

George Mason titled his 2005 Easter sermon, Christ on the Loose.
I think that is an apt title, because Christ is on the loose. I think you can't pin God down and keep him down. i don't think you could keep Jesus in the grave. I think that is why you have in Matthew's gospel a Resurrection of epic proportions.



Picture is by Duccio di Buoninsegna, 1308-1311. CGFA The Holy Women at the sepulechre

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home