Preaching to the Choir

These are some sermons, but mostly lectionary discussions. It also has prayers for some Sundays.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

continued thoughts on Deut 4:1-9

So Sunday we will hear the text with a sermon on Deuteronomy 4:1-9 with a focus on verse 9.

Deuteronomy 4:9 "Only take heed, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things which your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life; make them known to your children and your children's children --"

I found at Ginghamsburg UMC.org a sermon, a Bible Study, and Devotions on this scripture.

The Monday Devotion makes reference to James 1:23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. How does this passage fit with the Deuteronomy passage and what does it say to you?

They also ask these questions on this day: Who are we really? Do we look at ourselves by faith, or do we look at ourselves just in the natural? Do we believe God and what he says about us? How would you answer these questions?

I preached a sermon once on Baptism about who tells you who you are? I may have to go through the old sermon to see what's in it.

My one daughter worries about what people think of her, and tries very hard to fit in. My other daughter is popular and makes friends very easily, doesn't always worry about what people think. My son well he just is himself and actually is the boss. I have spent my whole life worrying about what other people think. I had no idea what God thought of me, except I thought he thought I was the worm of the earth, because of what I was told. I believed that all my life. But it isn't true and isn't true for any of us really. I am a child of God and so are my children. I try to get that across to them. When I listened to what everybody else thought about me or I tried to figure it out and live by that and saw myself that way, I did what James says, I forgot who I was.

There are a lot of people walking around not knowing who they are really, trying to figure it out, trying on the latest affirmations, or doing what self help books tell them to do. That's all well and good, but the answer is not in those. The answer is in who God made us to be and tells us to be.

Read the devotion and let me know what you think.
Take a moment and listen to who God says you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home